What is CSI Format?
The specification below utilizes the Section Format™ of the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Manual of Practice. Section Format provides a uniform approach to organizing specification text by establishing a structure consisting of three primary Parts: General, Products, and Execution. Text within each of the three Parts is divided into articles and subordinate paragraphs and subparagraphs. The article titles serve as a checklist for consideration by the specifier. These titles are optional and selections should be based on appropriateness for the specific situation being addressed. CSI is a U.S.A. based professional society for the specifications community.
INTEGRAL WATERPROOFING OF CONCRETE
NOTE TO SPECIFIER: Xypex crystalline waterproofing admixture and treatment of construction joints between successive pours.
This section includes products manufactured by Xypex Chemical Corporation, which is located at:
|13731 Mayfield Place
Richmond, BC V6V 2G9
Tel: (800) 961-4477
Tel: (604) 273-5265
|Fax: (604) 270-0451
Xypex waterproofing accomplishes waterproofing by forming crystals in the capillary pores of concrete. It is used in two ways in this section: 1) mixed into the concrete, and 2) applied to the surfaces of construction joints between successive pours to prevent leakage through the joint. Two other applications, surface application on new or existing concrete surfaces, and dry shake application on fresh horizontal concrete surfaces incorporated into the concrete surface during the finishing process, are included in Section 07162.
As an admixture, Xypex Admix consistently increases concrete strength, enables concrete slabs and walls to resist extreme hydrostatic pressure without surface coatings, and seals cracks up to 1/64 inch (0.4 mm) wide. It is approved for use by EPA, NSF International, and Agriculture Canada for potable water applications and is less costly for the same result than most other methods of waterproofing.
Xypex Admix can be used above and below grade, and is useful for reservoirs, sewage and water treatment plants, secondary containment units, tunnels and subway systems, underground vaults, foundations, parking structures, swimming pools, and precast concrete components.
Xypex may be painted or otherwise coated, plastered, or tiled. However, because the waterproofing forms a relatively smooth surface and fills the concrete pores, the waterproofed surface may not have enough suction for bonding of cementitious materials like plaster and tile setting materials without the use of special bonding agents. It may be necessary to field test waterproofed surfaces to determine what preparation is necessary to ensure adhesion.
Concrete decks and slabs without control joints must be designed with sufficient reinforcement to minimize thermal movement and control cracking.
PART 1 - GENERAL
- Crystalline waterproofing admixture for concrete.
- Crystalline waterproofing treatment of construction joints between successive concrete pours.
- The work of this section applies to concrete in the following locations:
- Water contact surfaces in treatment plant.
- Water storage tanks and reservoir.
- Tunnels, underground vaults, dry wells, and manholes.
- Parking structure.
- Swimming pool.
1.2 RELATED SECTIONS
- Section 03300 - Cast-in-Place Concrete: Concrete materials and placement.
- Section 07162 - Crystalline Waterproofing: Surface applied crystalline waterproofing.
- ACI 305R - Hot Weather Concreting; 1999.
- ACI 306R - Cold Weather Concreting; 1988.
- ACI 308 - Standard Practice for Curing Concrete; 1992 (Re-approved 1997).
- ASTM C 39/C 39M - Standard Test Method for Compressive Strength of Cylindrical Concrete Specimens; 1999.
- ASTM C 309 - Standard Specification for Liquid Membrane-Forming Compounds for Curing Concrete; 1998a.
- ASTM C 666 - Standard Test Method for Resistance of Concrete to Rapid Freezing and Thawing; 1997.
- ASTM E 329 - Standard Specification for Agencies Engaged in the Testing and/or Inspection of Materials Used in Construction; 1998a.
- COE CRD-C 48 - Standard Test Method for Water Permeability of Concrete; 1992.
- NSF 61 - Drinking Water System Components - Health Effects; 2000a.
- Submit under provisions of Section 01300.
- Product Data: Manufacturer's printed data sheet, for specified products.
- Test Reports: Certified test reports showing compliance with specified performance characteristics and physical properties.
- Testing Agency: Independent laboratory meeting the requirements of ASTM E329 and certified by the United States Bureau of Standards, Army Corp of Engineers, and American Concrete Institute.
- Certificates: Product certificates notarized by manufacturer certifying that:
- Materials comply with specified performance characteristics and physical requirements.
- Installer is qualified and approved by manufacturer.
- Manufacturer's installation instructions.
1.5 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Manufacturer Qualifications: Minimum 10 years experience manufacturing crystalline waterproofing of the type specified.
- Concrete Batch Operator Qualifications: Certified by Manufacturer for mixing and use of Crystalline Waterproofing Admixture Products.
- Pre-Construction Meeting: Prior to installation, conduct a meeting with the concrete installer, installers of adjacent work and work penetrating concrete, and admixture waterproofing manufacturer's representative to verify project requirements, substrate conditions, manufacturer's installation instructions, and manufacturer's warranty requirements; notify the Owner and Architect/Engineer at least one week in advance of meeting.
1.6 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
- Deliver materials in manufacturer's original, unopened, undamaged containers with identification labels intact.
- Store materials in a dry area on pallets to protect from exposure to harmful weather conditions and at temperature conditions recommended by manufacturer.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: Provide manufacturer's standard warranty document executed by authorized company official; warranty period: minimum Ten (10) years, commencing on Date of Substantial Completion.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
- Acceptable Manufacturer: Xypex Chemical Corporation, 13731 Mayfield Place, Richmond, BC V6V 2G9. ASD. Tel: (800) 961-4477 or (604) 273-5265. Fax: (604) 270-0451. E-mail: email@example.com. Web site: http://www.xypex.com.
- Approved equal.
- Obtain all crystalline waterproofing products from a single source.
- Requests for substitutions will be considered in accordance with provisions of Section 01600.
- Waterproofing Admixture: Xypex Admix C-500, C-1000 or C-2000; proprietary compound of Portland cement, fine treated silica sand and active chemicals; provide product and mix ratio that produce concrete that complies with specified requirements in Section 03300 and the following:
- Chemically Resistant for pH Levels of 3 to 11 constant contact and pH Levels of 2 to 12 periodic contact per ASTM C267-77, ASTM C672-76.
- Potable Water Approved per National Safety Foundation (ANSI/NSF) 61.
- Freeze-Thaw and De-icing Chemical Resistance per ASTM C672-76.
- Radiation Resistance per USANI N69-1967
- Crack Sealing ability for re-sealing cracks up to .04 mm (1/64”) per ASTM C856-88.
- Withstand 175 PSI water pressure penetration test per U.S. Army Corps of Engineers CRD-C-48-73.
- Concrete Admixture shall not decrease the compressive strength of the concrete mix design (28 day compressive strength test), ASTM C 39/C 39M.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
3.1 CONCRETE MIXING AND PLACING
- Comply with requirements of Section 03300.
- Add waterproofing admixture at time of batching and blend thoroughly, following manufacturer's instructions.
- Hot weather comply with ACI 305R; Cold weather comply with ACI 306R.
- Moist cure concrete in accordance with ACI 308; if moist curing is not possible, use Xypex Gamma Cure curing compound complying with ASTM C 309.
- Consult Manufacturer for mixing instructions, set times and retardation applications.
3.2 CONSTRUCTION JOINTS
- Comply with manufacturer's instructions, including product data, technical bulletins, catalog installation instructions, and product packaging labels.
- Verify substrate conditions, which have been previously installed under other sections, are acceptable for product installation in accordance with manufacturer's instructions,
- Mix materials in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
- Wet cold joint surface and saturate with clean water to enhance the crystalline formation process within concrete; remove excess surface water before application of slurry coat.
- Apply slurry coat if needed uniformly with semi-stiff bristle brush or spray under conditions and application rate recommended by manufacturer.
- Place subsequent pour while slurry coat is still green, but after reaching initial set.
3.3 FIELD QUALITY CONTROL
- Do not cover admixture treated concrete with other construction until it has been observed by Manufacturer's field representative and Architect/Engineer.
- After removal of forms, repair honeycombing, rock pockets, tie holes, faulty construction joints, cold joints, and cracks using waterproofing admixture Manufacturer's products and recommended procedures.
- Manufacturer's Field Services: Provide Manufacturer's field service consisting of product use recommendations and periodic site visits for inspection of concrete batching and product installation in accordance with Manufacturer's and Engineer’s instructions.
NOTE TO SPECIFIER: Carefully evaluate the following provisions. Some applications may not be possible to flood test. In cases where leaks cannot be observed directly, it may be necessary to measure the water level to determine whether leakage occurs. Delete the following if not required.
3.4 CLEANING AND PROTECTION
- Protect installed concrete from damage during construction.
- Do not apply paint or other coatings for at least 21 days; before applying coatings neutralize waterproofed surface as recommended by waterproofing manufacturer.
END OF SECTION